“Honey… cake?” These two little words are probably happily uttered about once a week since we have moved into the neighbourhood.
Minuet Cafe is a little gem of German bakery and cafe on the Danforth. It has quickly become a favourite treat for us since we have moved into the neighbourhood. Shane Han, the proprietor, is a master-trained German chef, and his cakes are so light and so delicious that it almost feels guilt-free. I’m pretty sure I crave a slice of cake from this little cafe about once a week, and his cakes have become popular with our friends and families. This cafe is certainly worth a visit.
The Skinny: Stuff we loved…
- The cakes. We literally keep coming back for more, and because it is not a franchise, you never really know which cakes Shane has decided to make for the day. Vanilla Coconut? Strawberry Shortcake? Coffee Mocha? Not knowing what are the choices are half the fun. I think how much I love these cakes can be summarized by one sentence… “I asked my husband for this cake for my birthday”. What do I love about it? It’s not too sweet, the thin layers of moist cake and light cream just melts in your mouth like a light breeze of awesomeness. I dare you to stop at one slice.
- The Breads. These are made homemade every day, and like the cakes, the selections vary from day to day. We have tried several, including the yoghurt bread, and they’re a lovely companion to the coffees.
- The coffee. On top of all this, the coffee is truly great. I have tried the mocha, and the husband the latte, and we both enjoyed our cups immensely while reading our Saturday paper .
The Verdict: I will keep coming back as much as I can, and will continue to recommend to neighbours and friends.
- You just have to taste it for yourself. Give Minuet Cafe a visit. They’re new to the neighbourhood.
Addendum: October 26, 2013
- My nephew and his wife was heading over to our place for the afternoon. They called us to ask where the Minuet Cafe was, because they were craving the cake. Speaks for itself.